Monday, October 19, 2015

Kansas River



My daughter and her cousin on the sandy shores of the Kansas River
 Photo By Stephanie Smith 


The Kansas River is beautiful and now that we finally got some rain this year it is even prettier.  I really enjoy looking over at the water while crossing the Topeka Boulevard bridge. The river runs through Topeka and is 170 miles long. It runs from Junction City to Kansas City.


Photo of the weir
Found on Kansas+River+drown.jpg on www.wibw.com
 
A cool place to access the river is the weir, at NW 14th Street and NW Warren in Topeka. I had the opportunity to go to the weir this year. Which I would describe as a fishing platform in the middle of the Kansas River. After doing some research, I found that a "weir is a barrier across a river designed to alter its flow." (Definition from Wikipedia) Which makes it a great place to catch fish! I enjoyed watching all the fishermen do their thing. One day, I would like to have a tackle box and take my girl fishing. Right now, we are new to the outdoor world and she is too little to sit for long periods of time. We had an epic fail the last time we tried and we both just kind of  thought at the same time that we were not ready for fishing yet. I few more years and I might be able to get her out there and we will learn together and I am sure we will enjoy the Kansas River more.

3 comments:

  1. That's a cute picture! I would love to visit the river with my family - I feel like I've been in the area before, but never by the river itself! It's just one of the things I have to do, now that I'm living here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have waited a long time to get on the river but I see myself in the future utilizing the Kansas River more often.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After 19 years of living in Topeka, I have never actually gone down to the Kansas River. Sad right? I've driven past it/over it many times, but I'd definitely like to go down sometime..

    ReplyDelete